Dear Bearded Confidant,

I am a circumcised 54 year old. I was born in Pennsylvania in 1946.  It was customary for male children to be circumcised.  My parents choose it for me.  I first noticed a hole in my penis when I was six.  It is on the top side, just below the head.  It's actually a piercing that goes through the skin, much like a pierced ear.  My question is, is this a normal occurrence for circumcised males or is it rare?  I'm assuming that it was caused by the procedure.  I have been looking at all the fine photos on your site but there is rarely a photo of the top, in enough detail to see if this is common.  I have not had the courage to check out my male friends.

Dear Anonymous,

While the condition you describe is not unheard of, it is certainly rare among circumcised men.  It could be the result of a sloppy circumcision, but it is much more likely to be a condition going back to prenatal times, a slight "flaw" that occurred when your foreskin was being formed in the womb. Unless this hole brings you physical discomfort, it should be nothing to worry about.  If, however, it ever becomes a problem, a doctor should be able to close it back up through minor surgery, just as pierced ears can be closed back.